Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Ring Ring: Cornbread Calling

I have also been visualizing "THE" call from the cornbread people asking me to come and make one of my "faboulous" recipes at their little festival. Then, (after I stop screaming), I graciously accept and begin making my plans to attend. Once there everything goes smoothly. We are having a great time and I am slightly surprised at how well the cast iron tiara fits my head!

It's been quite a while since my last post. I've been working on some recipes to enter in the next Ultimate Recipe Showdown. I think I've finally gotten them done and one thing I've learned is that you could drive yourself crazy writing and rewriting recipes. I think the trick is like everything else in life: Keep it simple, stupid!




This is one of my weekly experiments that didn't turn out 1/2 bad even if I do say so myself. I don't really have a name for them yet, I've been calling them apple pie egg rolls.I'm not sure if you can tell by this picture, but I mixed apples, brown sugar, butter and brie cheese. Wrapped it in an egg roll wrapper and deep fried until golden brown. Then I sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and served with some warm apple butter. We thought they were really good!






Apple Pie Egg Rolls

4 tablespoons butter, softened
4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple pie spice
4 prepared egg roll wrappers
4 slices brie cheese
1 Granny Smith Apple, sliced
Canola Oil for frying
Cinnamon sugar
Apple Butter

Cream together butter, sugar and spice.

Lay the egg roll wrappers out with the point facing you. (Looks like a diamond) Spread the sugar mixture onto the wrappers leaving a 1 inch border. Place one piece of brie cheese in the center top with 3 or 4 slices of apple. Pull the point of the wrapper over the apple, fold the left point over then the right point and roll tightly to the end. Wet the edge to seal.

Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a deep fry pan. Heat to 350 degrees. Fry the egg rolls, carefully turning to brown all sides, about 4 - 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while they are hot and serve with the apple butter for dipping. Yum!

2 comments:

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Now that's an interesting idea!
LOL...you have the same daydreams I do about cornbread! Sounds like such a fun cook-off. And URS...who knows what they look for...last year, I only sent one entry in, last minute and was shocked they selected it! So good luck, and I agree, keep it simple!

Deborah said...

What a great recipe! I'm in awe at people that create their own recipes - I just am not good at that!