Friday, July 4, 2008

Fettuccini Alfredo with Pan Seared Mushrooms


This is the dish that my husband used to win my heart. When we first met, a group of us would go to a small restaurant on Siesta Key that had a great late night bar menu. One of my favorite dishes was the grouper alfredo. Two of my favorite things, fresh Florida Grouper and Creamy Fettuccini Alfredo.

The combination of the Flaky fish and sharp parmesean cream sauce was really good. Since it was a bar menu, the serving size was smaller than a dinner serving but I thought it was just the right size. I got to know my future husband at those outings, talking and joking with a group of people we became really great friends.

He always bragged about his alfredo sauce, and how much everyone liked it. His version was made with pan seared scallops, (still my favorite), but over the years he has developed an allergy to shell fish, so the only time I get scallops is when we go out for dinner. Now he makes it with pan seared mushrooms and broccoli, and the alfredo is still the best I have ever had!

So here it is, the dish that won me over:


Fettuccini Alfredo with Pan Seared Mushrooms

1 pound mixed mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Fettuccini nests
1 stick salted butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated parmesean cheese

Heat a 12 inch non stick skillet to medium high. Add the olive oil and mushrooms. Saute 10 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms are carmelized.

Meanwhile, melt the butter into the cream over low heat stirring frequently.

Cook the Fettuccini nests according to package directions, drain well and return the pot to low heat. Pour the butter and cream mixture over the pasta, toss to coat. Mix in the mushrooms. Add the parmesean a little at a time until the sauce becomes thick and creamy.

1 comments:

Becky said...

I love the way the brocoli looks - can you tell me what you did to them? Thanks. beckyorton@yahoo.com